I’m in love with KA Tuckers Burying Water mystery series so when I saw there was a new suspense series starting, I was over the moon! It was an absorbing read and my final verdict on He Will Be My Ruin by K A Tucker is PRETTY DAMN GOOD!
He Will Be My Ruin Published by Atria Books on February 2nd 2016
Genres: Contemporary, Suspense
Buy on Amazon
A woman who almost had it all . . .
On the surface, Celine Gonzalez had everything a twenty-eight-year-old woman could want: a one-bedroom apartment on Manhattan’s Lower East Side, a job that (mostly) paid the bills, and an acceptance letter to the prestigious Hollingsworth Institute of Art, where she would finally live out her dream of becoming an antiques appraiser for a major auction house. All she had worked so hard to achieve was finally within her reach. So why would she kill herself?
A man who was supposed to be her salvation . . .
Maggie Sparkes arrives in New York City to pack up what’s left of her best friend’s belongings after a suicide that has left everyone stunned. The police have deemed the evidence conclusive: Celine got into bed, downed a lethal cocktail of pills and vodka, and never woke up. But when Maggie discovers a scandalous photograph in a lock box hidden in Celine’s apartment, she begins asking questions. Questions about the man Celine fell in love with. The man she never told anyone about, not even Maggie. The man Celine believed would change her life.
Until he became her ruin.
On the hunt for evidence that will force the police to reopen the case, Maggie uncovers more than she bargained for about Celine’s private life—and inadvertently puts herself on the radar of a killer. A killer who will stop at nothing to keep his crimes undiscovered.
Balancing the books is a quick fire review where I list the assets and liabilities of a book (as I see them) and leave you decide if you think this book is worth investing in.
The Assets of He Will Be My Ruin by K A Tucker:
- Kept Guessing. I had some suspicions but being honest, I had my beady eyes on everyone so one of them had to be right! I loved that I was never 100% sure of what way this would play out.
- Nicely paced and skilfully plotted. It held its secrets well, scattered lots of red herrings and made me want to keep reading.
- Diverse themes! So diverse, it meandered from Chinese antiques to the sex industry. I never knew what way this book would loop off next and it felt like quite an adventure. I loved all the different layers that this added to the mystery.
- Fleshed out, quirky characters. Well I need hardly say that, it IS K A Tucker writing this after all.
- Dangerous vibe! There were some scary happenings towards the end and I was on the edge of my seat.
The Liabilities of He Will Be My Ruin by K A Tucker:
- I didn’t particularly like the characters. Fleshed out, yes! People I want to know? Not particularly. I enjoyed reading about them but I never fell for them in the way I have in previous books by this author.
- It didn’t ring true to me. It felt a little bit unbelievable especially a lot of what Maggie did to get answers. It didn’t make it a bad read but it did drag down the rating a little for me.
|Did I feel it?|
Investment potential of He Will Be My Ruin by K A Tucker:
Overall it’s well worth the read, particularly if you like a dark plot that keeps you guessing.
Thanks to NetGalley and Atria Books for giving me a copy of the book in exchange for an honest unbiased review.