Two words…just perfect! Ok, no I lied, there is more to say but those two words are all you really need to know!My Life Next Door by Huntley Fitzpatrick
Published by Electric Monkey on January 7th 2016
Genres: Romance, YA, YA Contemporary
A gorgeous debut about family, friendship, first romance, and how to be true to one person you love without betraying another.
One thing my mother never knew, and would disapprove of most of all, was that I watched the Garretts. All the time.
The Garretts are everything the Reeds are not. Loud, numerous, messy, affectionate. And every day from her balcony perch, seventeen-year-old Samantha Reed wishes she was one of them... until one summer evening, Jase Garrett climbs her terrace and changes everything. As the two fall fiercely in love, Jase's family makes Samantha one of their own. Then in an instant, the bottom drops out of her world and she is suddenly faced with an impossible decision. Which perfect family will save her? Or is it time she saved herself?
A dreamy summer read, full of characters who stay with you long after the story is over.
First Line of My Life Next Door by Huntley Fitzpatrick
“The Garretts were forbidden from the start.”
What I loved about My Life Next Door by Huntley Fitzpatrick
- I expected cute and adorable and it fully delivered on both scores. But it was a lot MORE than cute. It wasn’t just fluffy, it had a depth that I wasn’t expecting. It had teenagers coping with real issues, muddy family dynamics and portrayed the hardship of watching friends lose their way in life.
- No insta-love. Thank you Huntley Fitzpatrick, you allowed us to see and experience the whole falling in love, butterflies-in-tummy, stars-in-eyes journey. I felt as giddy as teenage girl while reading it.
- Two very different families. One is rigid and scheduled and Instagram picture perfect, on the surface. The other is messy, large and happy-go-lucky. I loved how real both felt and I’d move next door to the Garretts in a heartbeat. I adored that easy going, chaotic family. With a special mention for George, the cutest book sibling in the world!
- First love and all its ups, downs and emotional intensity captured with perfection. I also loved how it showed the Sam and Jase going shopping for condoms in a way that was both responsible and fun.
- A twist that made my heart pound. Not in a good way, it jolted me like whiplash as it was so unexpected and I loved that this unpredictable turn stopped the book from fading away like a lovely sunset. Instead of just being a nice but unmemorable book, the twist made it one that I won’t forget.
Overall this was fab. I can’t wait to read more by Huntley Fitzpatrick as she has heart-warming contemporary YA fiction all sewn up.
|Did I feel it?|
Who should read My Life Next Door by Huntley Fitzpatrick?
I’d highly recommend this to you if you like engaging characters that absorb all your attention, coming of age romances and storylines that deal with realistic issues. Fans to Morgan Matson and Jessi Kirby should also enjoy.
Thanks to NetGalley and Egmont Publishing for giving me a copy of this book in exchange for an honest, unbiased review.