Top Ten Tuesday was created by The Broke and the Bookish in June of 2010 and was moved to That Artsy Reader Girl in January of 2018. It was born of a love of lists, a love of books, and a desire to bring bookish friends together.
This weeks theme is Things That Make Me Pick Up a Book!
I’m drawn to books for lots of reasons, like a book that all my friends are loving or an author I love. But I’m focusing here on settings that always make me want to pick up the book. If you click on the book image, it will take you to the book review (if I’ve written one for that book).
1. Dance settings but especially ballet. I love them, my guilty pleasure. Kicked off by my love of Drina ballerina books when I was a child. Never really grew out of them. *shrugs*
2. Road Trips
– so many possibilities, love them. In books and real life
And added bonus, we often get playlists as well.
3. Cities I love – If I see books are set in Dublin, London, New York, Paris or Rome, I’m immediately interested. I want to see how well they portray the city and it gives me a chance to spend a little time in a place I love.
4. Curve balls. A plot where it seems that I’ll be lead a merry dance, trying to figure out what’s going on. I love guessing and trying to crack the plot open.
5. Books set in counties I’ve never been to – I like getting different perspectives and learning new things.
6. Secrets! Ssshhhh! I love digging them up.
7. Realistic, hard hitting, gritty topics. I like books that talk about the often untalked about subjects. And not in a trivial way but in a meaningful, thought provoking way.
8. Boarding School settings. I suppose this is another one that started in childhood with Enid Blyton but I love reading books with contemporary school settings.
9. The Tudor period. The treachery, the gore, along with all the political wheeling and dealing captivate me, and I can’t get enough
10. Fabulous covers. I’m drawn to them like a magpie to shiny things.
Talk to Trish:
What makes you pick up a book? If you have also done this TTT, please leave a link so I can come visit 🙂