For the last few years I have chosen a word to focus on for the year. I find this easier than making a zillion New Year’s resolutions that are thrown out with the Christmas recycling. Instead I pick a word that means something to me and that I feel will inspire me throughout the year.
My WORD for 2017
This year my word is create. I have been thinking about what word feels right for 2017 and I keep coming back to this. Every two months, I intend to focus on one area of my life with the word create in mind.
The funny thing about this is that word seems to pick you. Every year I start with a different word in mind, but it never seems up to be the word I end up with. Last year, everything keep nudging me towards the word “happy”. This year, “create” just wouldn’t let me be. Also the word alone lights up a fire in my belly. It makes me feel like I can steer my life in a way that energises me. I always think if the word excites and challenges you, then you are on the right path.
What I want to create:
- A healthier lifestyle
- An uplifting morning routine and a relaxing evening routine
- Content for the blog that excites me
- Photos that capture moments
- Memories that I’ll treasure
- A sitting room that feels more contemporary than my current design
Like a lot of people I am kick-starting the year with a detox and working on a healthier lifestyle. Like I do every January, but I don’t dread this. I embrace it. I look forward to creating a healthier lifestyle after the Christmas indulgences. Because, I’m excited about trying new recipes, exploring new challenges and discovering new exercise routines. By the simple addition of the word “create’, this becomes motivational to me and not a hard slog to be endured.
Now that I have committed here to creating a life I love, I am equally motivated to find quirky ways to add create in to my life.
How I plan on staying focused:
- Adding the word CREATE to my planner every week so it remains in focus
- Including a section to my Sunday Post on what I tried that week
- Updates on my creative endeavours on the blog every two months
- A postcard or post-its on my desk at work that reminds me of my word
- Making a screen saver for my phone that screams create
I’m excited, and I’m looking forward to 2017. And I’d encourage you to create a one word plan too; it’s simple, it’s fun and it’s motivating.