I’m in a funny situation in that the longer I book blog, the less inclined I am to buy a book. In my first year of blogging, I went crazy buying all the books and taking on all the arcs (advanced reader copies) and ended up reading the arcs and ignoring my own bought books. With the result that I literally have stacks of unread books to get through.
So nowadays I don’t add to that pile unless something screams at me to buy it. But there are a few things that will always make me either one-click on Amazon or head off to my local book shop with my money in my fist.
5 top things that make me buy a book!
- Auto-buy authors: I have some authors whose books I have to have. Even if I can’t read them straight away, when they publish I NEED their books under my roof! Absolute musts are Tana French, Colleen Hoover, Patricia Scanlan, Louise O’Neill and Lauren Miller.
- Location, location, location! I’m a sucker for books set in countries I want to visit and a book will ease that longing for travel when I can’t actually go on holidays. And I also love books set in cities I know and love (Dublin, London, New York, Rome) as I want to see how well they portray the city and they give me a chance to spend a little time in a place I love.
- Certain themes. I only need the slightest hint of a dance theme, or a boarding school setting, or a book about family secrets and it’s MINE.
- Rave reviews from trusted blogger friends: I blame you all for the state of my shelves!
- Books on sale! Damn you amazon daily deal, you are my downfall. Being able to one click while having my morning coffee is just way too easy.
Talk to Trish? Do you buy a lot of books? What is the number one thing that makes you part with your money?