I was nominated by the Rachel @ Confessions of a Book Geek to take part in the Sisterhood of the World Blogging Award!
1. Did you have a book that meant a lot to you as a child?
All of them! I was obsessed with my books and saved all my money to add to my collection (the more things change, the more they stay the same!). Firm favourites were all the Enid Blyton books, the Chalet School series, Little Women, What Katy Did, Heidi, The Little House on the Prairie books, The Secret Garden. I could go on and on!
2. Is there any author or book that you collect, and will always welcome multiple editions of the same title?
I buy all the Tana French books because she is literary genius! And I don’t normally collect multiple editions but I have all her books in paperback and audiobook format. And I think one or two on my kindle too. Well I never know just when I’m going to want to reread one and I like to be prepared!
3. Say that you find yourself judging a book by it’s cover (not that we ever do that!!!); what sort of covers do you go for? Are there any that are an absolute turn off?
I love pretty books and they just make me want to swoop down like a magpie and carry them home. These are a few of my all time fav covers. So I guess it’s pinky covers that really catch my eye.
4. If you could pick any imaginary animal to bring home to Mom with an earnest, “Can we keep him??”, what animal would it be?
Well since I have my own house these days, I won’t have to ask permission. And I also know I’ll be the one cleaning up, so I’ll have an imaginary monkey that cleans up after himself!
5. Is there any book to movie adaptation that you simply refuse to watch? No way, no how, you’re not even giving them the opportunity to mess it up?
I still haven’t watched Gone Girl. I love the book and I’m nervous about the movie version as I don’t think it will do the story justice. The perfection for me was in the unique phrasing and I don’t think the twist will work at all on the screen.
6. What is the most unusual book you’ve ever read? (Plot, writing style, chapter layout, etc?)
I think the quirkiest book format I’ve read was Amy & Roger’s Epic Detour. I just loved all the little drawings and menu receipts and playlists, etc. It just uped the adorable factor by a zillion!
7. Is there any book or series that you’ve read that is so totally outside of your normal genre, but you loved it and would recommend it to others as a “take a risk!” type of book?
I don’t really have a type! My book motto is ‘anything goes’ so I take chances all the time and don’t really have a genre that I stick rigidly to. I did take a chance of SciFi books with Parallel by Lauren Miller a few years ago and now I adore YA SciFi books. If you are stuck to one genre, I challenge you to mix it up a bit, you might just surprise yourself.
8. Do you have any bookish collections, or anything you covet and hope to someday collect? Candles, artwork, bookcases?
My bookish collection is my books! I find it hard to part with them and so have a huge collection. I also like bookmarks and have to add to my collection whenever one catches my eye.
9. What book has been on your TBR pile the longest, but you just can’t convince yourself to pick it up?
I think it’s The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo. I don’t know why I’m so slow to read it. I have it on audiobook now as well though so I will hopefully get around to reading it someday.
10. You get a $500 gift card for all things bookish – do you run to your nearest bookstore and spend like a fiend? Or do you create pro/con lists (a la Rory Gilmore) to make sure you get just the right & perfect & wonderful bookish things? Or are you eyeing a particularly expensive bookcase somewhere?
I would want it to last and wouldn’t spend it all together. Half the fun for me is the browsing and picking out of the new books, so I’d love going in every week and picking up 2 or 3 new books and dragging it out for as long as I could.
When it comes to tags, I hate naming people who might already have been tagged or someone who hasn’t been tagged but who has zero interest in doing one. So I’m tagging YOU if you want to do it! And if you do leave me a link so I can come check it out.
Talk to Trish : Pick a question at random and answer it in the comments!