I have a crazy habit! When I have a book I can’t wait to read, one I have been looking forward to and anticipating, maybe a favourite author or a much needed sequel, I put off reading it. And I don’t mean a book I’m saving to buy, I mean one where I’ve splashed the cash and have it ready and waiting. Yes, a book I can’t wait to read but then I make myself wait. Told you it was crazy!
There are a couple main reasons I do this:
– I want to savour the book. I love the anticipation of knowing I have the book and that it’s there waiting for me. I feel the same way about holidays, I love the build up and count down to D day.
– When it’s a book I’m really excited about reading, I don’t want to read a few chapters a night. I want to wait until I have enough time to read for hours so I can really dwell in it.
– I’m afraid I won’t love it. I have been stung in the past and it has made me wary. I prefer the anticipation of thinking I will love that shiny, unblemished book to the reality that it was only ok or worse that it sucked.
– I have review books that I need to read first. I try to read review books asap so it sometimes means postponing my own books. Hopefully this won’t happen as much this year as I’m aiming for more of a balance between reading review books and books I’ve bought.
– However I also get review books that make me scream with excitement but then they too get stuck in this vicious cycle. It seems like the more I want to read it, the more I keep delaying and delaying until very near the release date.
– The hype monster scares me too. I get afraid that the book can’t possibly measure up and I push my reading date further and further away.
Bookish Chat : This habit drives me scatty! I want to be that person who buys the book and dives straight in for better or for worse. So tips, please! Also, am I alone? Do you do this? What are your reasons for delaying reading a book?