I love Christmas, well most of the time. But there are times when it all gets hectic; when the in-laws are getting loud, when your husband is skating on thin ice, when the sibling tension rises and when the cat is puking tinsel! Surely this doesn’t happen only in my house?! If/When all that that happens, it is time to retreat to a quiet room, lock the door and pull your survival kit out of it’s hiding spot.
The Contents of your Bookish Survival Kit:
1. Warm blanket to snuggle down under. Not those silly ones with arms! We want to be warm and comfy but for the love of God, avoid looking like a sloth in a straight-jacket!
2. Some snowman soup. Hot chocolate, add marshmallows and mix up well with a candy cane. With an optional shot of Baileys if you are old enough and so inclined.
3. A stack of books that you haven’t read before. If you want to add an element of intrigue and surprise, try wrapping some and add some book serendipity to your book selection.
4. A few well read, well thumbed books for extra comfort if needed. This one always works for me.
5. Your phone/laptop/tablet to connect with other desperate bookworms via GoodReads, Blogs and Twitter.
6. And as a bonus, you can also use number 5 to connect to spotify to listen to non Christmas music. Headphones are essential to block out any voices that are calling for you!
7. Your favourite scented candle. Mine is Fleur d’Osmanthus Scented Candle by Roger & Gallet. The smell is both floral and zesty and never fails to uplift me.
8. And if necessary….a key! Lock the door, put on headphones and escape into your bookish adventure until you are revived enough to join the family again!
And repeat as often as necessary for your sanity!