Top Ten Tuesday is an original feature/weekly meme created by one of my favourite blogs – http://brokeandbookish.blogspot.ie – if you are not reading this blog, then you should be!
This weeks theme is Top Ten Words/Topics That Instantly Make Me Buy/Pick Up A Book . I have lots of these so this was an easy one for me. What I have done is given a quick description of the topic and then an example of a book that falls into category and so fell into my hands.
1. Dance settings but especially ballet. I love them, my guilty pleasure. Kicked off by my love of Drina ballerina books when I was a child. Never really grew out of them. Shrug!
2. Road Trips – so much possibilities, love them. In books and real life 🙂 And added bonus, we often get playlists as well.
3. Adoption – very close to my heart so when I see a book that approaches this from any angle, I have to buy.
4. Cities I love – If I see books are set in Dublin, London, New York, Paris or Rome, I’m immediately interested. I want to see how well they portray the city and gives me a chance to spend a little time in a place I love.
5. Curve balls. A plot where it seems that I’ll be lead a merry dance, trying to figure out what’s going on. I love guessing and trying to crack the plot open.
6. Books set in counties I’ve never been to – I like getting different perspectives and learning new things. I have yet to read the one below but a book about 3 girls in the Israeli Defense Forces that has really wet my book appetite.
7. Realistic, hard hitting, gritty topics. I like books that talk about the often untalked about subjects. And not in a trivial way but in a meaningful, thought provoking way.
8. Books that feature lists. Yes I’m a lister and proud.
9. Boarding School settings. I suppose this is another one that started in childhood with Enid Blyton but I love reading books with contemporary school settings.
10. Paranormal books. But I’m very choosy, there are some great ones but there are some awful ones. This is one of the best if you ask me.
Bookish Chat : Any thoughts on my choices? What are your auto-buy topics? Go on comment, make my day!